J. Walter Thompson Shanghai
Overview of Position:
A Planning Director can operate independently, handling projects by themself whilst keeping the leadership regularly up-dated on status and immediately aware of issues. They have strong skills – in developing strategy, structuring decks, presentation, liaison with creative and client service peers, managing staff and building trusting client relationships at middle and senior management level. We trust their judgment. Their creative critique and ability to work with ideas will be strong. In general, they will have 5-10 years experience in planning positions but a high level of talent can reduce this. In J. Walter Thompson, Shanghai planner capabilities are generally ahead of the market. This means that planners starting at any level will already have been judged to be capable of acceding to the next level, in due course.
Position reports to:
Head of Planning, J. Walter Thompson, Shanghai
J. Walter Thompson Values:
An important criterion for new staff is their fit with the agency’s values: Curious, Courageous, Capable and Collaborative as these define the qualities that our people should demonstrate in the way they work and are thus the drivers of our unique culture.
Responsibilities & Key Tasks:
• Develop creative strategy.
• Write/support account service team in writing of creative briefs.
• Lead creative briefings.
• Lead internal creative reviews.
• Attend research groups and research de-briefs.
• Analyze relevant consumer and market research applying findings to strategy development/providing agency pov.
• Work with digital analyst to produce periodic performance reports.
• Contribute to development of channel plans and digital ecosystems.
• Generate concept statements or propositions for use in research.
• Source information on Chinese consumer attitudes, behavior and demography that can provide a better perspective on target customers.
• Keep abreast of communications campaigns and new developments in products and services for key competitors in home market and other markets of relevance.
• Provide strategic implications section for competitive reviews prepared by account teams.
• Facilitate/attend client marketing/communications planning workshops as required
• Help develop activation ideas that address strategic opportunities or issues.
• Support new business pitches as required.
• Support global or regional agency initiatives as required.
• These are defined in discussion with the successful candidate upon appointment, taking into consideration specific experience, expertise and personal development goals.
• JWT Head of Planning,
• JWT Asia Pacific Planning Director
• JWT Business Directors, Senior Account Directors, Account Directors
• Creative directors, writers and art directors.
• Relevant JWT global and regional planners (for accounts handled)
• Relevant digital specialists.
• Client senior and middle management.
• Client research manager.
• WPP and client media partners.
• WPP and client digital partners.
• WPP and client PR partners.
• WPP and client partners - other relevant services (shopper marketing etc)
• WPP and independent research houses.
About J. Walter Thompson
J. Walter Thompson Worldwide, the world’s best-known marketing communications brand, has been creating pioneering solutions that build enduring brands and businesses for more than 150 years. Headquartered in New York, J. Walter Thompson is a global network with more than 200 offices in over 90 countries, employing nearly 10,000 marketing professionals. The agency consistently ranks among the top networks in the world and continues a dominant presence in the industry by staying on the leading edge—from producing the first TVC in 1939 to developing award-winning branded content today. For more information, please visit www.jwt.com/Shanghai