Account Director For Future Needs
J. Walter Thompson New York – Job Located in New York, NY
At J. Walter Thompson we create pioneering solutions that build enduring brands and business. We have been connecting brands with consumers and creating engaging stories that shift behavior for over 150 years. We currently have over 200 offices in 90 countries that contain 10,000 of the brightest minds in the business. We owe our growing success to the adoption of a set of simple principles we refer to as the 4 C’s: curiosity, collaboration, capability and courage. It is the embodiment of these traits that makes J. Walter Thompson unique. It is also what we look for in potential new hires.
Account management today sits at the intersection of creativity and commerce. Account people not only have to appreciate great creative, they need to champion it. And the best way to champion it is to understand the business challenges and problems that our ideas will solve – and to help clients connect the dots. They need to be “quarterbacks” to help create pioneering work and navigate the complexity of marketing today – and in many ways, they need to be agents of change to buck the status quo.
As an Account Director you will be responsible for steering the strategies on your client’s business while ensuring the agency is fully prepared to meet all of the client’s marketing and communication needs. The Account Director leads the team toward the overall account vision, creates new solutions for driving the business forward, motivates team members to greater contributions, and has impact with client directors and influence with client officers.
A Day in the Life:
- Orchestrate all long and short-term objectives and strategies in concert with the creative and planning teams to drive client innovation and new product development
- Act as the primary internal and external contact for all activities of the account
- Truly collaborate across the agency network to drive integrated thinking and communication solutions that are aligned with business goals
- Review and evaluate in-market communication initiatives to determine overall effectiveness and foster consistency over time
- Unite and lead cross-functional teams in the most efficient, optimal process for effective use of resources, negotiations and all day-to-day projects
- Develop and manage annual work plans, forecasts, fees and reconciliation with Project Management and Finance
- Identify and communicate growth and expansion opportunities to the client
- Mentor, motivate and reward account associates, managers and supervisors during challenges, learning opportunities and successes by sharing knowledge, plans and budgets
- Create and support staff-development, training and on-boarding
- Actively network and recruit new talent to the agency
What You’ll Need:
- Let’s start with a Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) and 9+ years of experience in an agency or related environment. Surprise us with the related!
- Courage to dig deep into the business and question everything to understand where the pain points are and link our work directly back to the business as much as possible
- An action-oriented entrepreneurial spirit and a laser focus on the outcome, not just on the process
- Inclination to think outside of the box to imagine new ideas and encourage progressive dialogue
- An eagerness to think differently about problems and rolling up your sleeves to help figure them out
- A thirst for pioneering new ways of forging and developing client business relationships
- Ability to recognize a great idea and empower the creative teams to push the boundaries on the work we make, while providing the business context needed for the work to be successful
- A resiliently positive attitude. This is critical to foster a highly collaborative environment
- Passion and genuine enthusiasm for advertising, media, technology and your career growth
- The ability to confidently present your own and other’s work persuasively
JWT is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity and to attracting and retaining the most qualified employees regardless of race, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, age or disability.